Thursday, October 25, 2007

Palm Springs - The Goat Trails

Previously I thought this was part of the Art Smith trail, but apparently it's not. I've generally followed the geoladders route when I've been, but there are many variations you can make.

With school canceled for the rest of the week and the bad air quality from the fires, it was a perfect time to go down and ride the Art Smith Trail in Palm Springs again. I took the Kona this time. I figured it'd be more fun on the technical section in the last half mile. I can't say it was really worth it on the Kona though. It was over 90 degrees and those steep fireroad climbs got to me pretty quick today. The climbs are tough enough on my hardtail. Don't get me wrong, it was a blast coming down, but for the complete ride experience I think I'll stick to the hardtail for this ride from now on.

Regardless, it was still worth the drive down. If nothing else, I was able to breath clean air and get some exercise at the same time. I also brought the camera so I could get a few pics of the trail this time. Most of these are from the last 1/2 mile section of the ride.


Click on a picture to enlarge it.



Probably the most technical ............................ Nice little drop here. ..........................The last fun section of the ride.......
section of the trail.


This is up a little higher on the ride....................Lots of Rocks!..........................
Notice the steepness of the fireroad to
the left. Also notice the lack of shade.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These photos aren't of Art Smith. This is the Goat Trails and most of the photos show the Superman Trail exit out of the network.

Fun stuff! Speed is your friend - or else.

Jeff said...

Thanks. I wasn't sure at the time, but after the last time I was there I was pretty sure I wasn't on the actual Art Smith trail. I followed a geoladders route which referred to it as the Art Smith Trail. I think it does eventually connect to the Art Smith Trail though doesn't it???

Anonymous said...

You can connect the Goat Trail via the "Secret Trail" to Dunn Road to Art Smith. The secret Trail is mainly hike a bike initially then becomes ridable to Dunn Road. The best route to Art Smith is via Cath. Cove, climb Dunn Road for about 4 miles to Art Smith, then ride Art Smith for about 8 miles. I have ridden this as a shuttle though since it will drop you onto the 74 above Bighorn resort.

Anonymous said...

Next time your in the area look me up on MTBR LncNuvue - send PM. I'll show you around the trails. Lots of good stuff here.

Anonymous said...

There are actually various titles attached to this type of job.
You become an educator to your patients and have the daunting task of being sure they receive all the support and preparation they require to return home.

Depending on your lifestyle, now you also have the option to opt for online schools.
my site :: ucoz.Com

steycough said...

a0i38p7s52 z8d64u4x89 q6s26g3q35 b8i32p3q38 p9w30s6j71 a7m17i4x23