Monday, July 28, 2008

Mammoth 1987 and Now

When we were at Mammoth this weekend we were riding "Bridge the Gap" after coming down "Skid Marks" and I suddenly felt like I was in a very familiar place. I quickly realized that I was going down a trail (a fireroad actually) that I had ridden up in my very first race. It was 1987 and I was 12 years old and I believe it was the Raleigh World Mountain Bike Championships. I think it was the 2nd one they had there. There weren't even age divisions, just classes, so I was in the beginner division. The picture was taken just at the start of the steepest climb of the course. I remember seeing the photographer and making sure I rode far enough up the hill to get my picture taken on the bike before I had to get off and walk up. You'll notice one guy behind me didn't even attempt the hill.

I was riding a $350 Univega Rover Sport. I also have to point out that the red watch on my wrist is actually a Swatch.

Anyways....here's me in 1987 and then again in 2008 at the same spot.....